Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Felted Wool Flowers

Here is a photo of the headband being worn by daughter, who was not so keen on having her picture taken...so I snuck up on her. Its the best I could do. Sadly, my photographic skills lack compared to hers. She took the amazing photo, and made my new banner. Check out her other work here.



The inspiration for these roses came from two different sites. the first was Creature Comforts and her tutorial for a paper flower. I made some from paper, and then saw that Betz White had used the same technique on felted wool. The first step is to cut a circle out of your wool.


Starting on the outside edge, start cutting towards the center, making a spiral.



Beginning at the outside of the spiral, start rolling the wool up forming your flower.





I always end up with a tail on the bottom of my flower and I just snip it off with my scissors.


I had been sewing the layers of wool together with neat little stitches, but now just glue them together using a hot glue gun. I all so used the glue gun to attach the flowers to my headband.



Tada! Thats it, you've made a flower!

9 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh yay! Thanks so much for adding this part! I can't wait to try this.

Sarah said...

I love this.
SO simple... even I can do it.
Plus, I linked my blog to this!

LOVE IT.

Thank yhou

Pattie said...

WOW!
You're a genius! I have always wondered how to do this :)

Unknown said...

Love this....will try tomorrow! I was looking for just the flowers and to make a headband. Thanks again!

Lynn

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's so nice and easy - and so very pretty too! Thanks for sharing your good ideas!
Kindest regards from Wuppertal, the city in Germany with the famous, continent's only overhead suspension urban rail line called “Schwebebahn”, which runs 12 m above the river Wupper (10 km) since 1898!
Uta :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Bluebell Fox said...

This is so cute in felt!! I made these out of paper for decorations on my dining room table, but I love them on a headband. Definately going to have to try this one out soon....

Thanks!!

Jaime
thebluebellfox.blogspot.com

Alison Agnew said...

I was googling ideas for felted wool and came upon your tute for these adorable rosettes. Thanks! Now following.

Blessings,

Alison
Stuff and Nonsense

vintageexchange said...

You made it simple. I've been trying to find a simpler way to make these flowers. Thanks for the instructions.