Thursday, February 19, 2009

Beaded Flowers

I like these because they have a vintage look, and can be made into a necklace, hair accessory, pin, or even a magnet for your refrigerator.

Supplies: Beading wire, I used 24 gauge
a package dark color rocaille beads
a package of light color rocaille beads
a package of assorted rocaille beads
a small piece of felt
glue gun
pliers/wire cutters

1. Forming a petal.
Cut a piece of wire, 9 inches long. string on two of the assorted color beads, (I used clear,) then string on 10 of your dark color beads and 2 more of your assorted color beads. Push the beads until they are about 2 inches from the end.

Photobucket

Form a loop with the beaded portion and twist once to hold the beads in place.

Photobucket

Working with the long end of the wire string on two assorted color beads, 20 dark color beads, and two more assorted color beads.

Photobucket

Form the beaded section into a loop going around your first loop, and twist to hold.

Photobucket

Working with the long section of wire, add 4 of the assorted color beads, 25 dark beads and 4 more assorted color beads. Form into a loop and twist.

Photobucket

You have now completed one petal. Follow the steps to make a total of 5 dark color petals, and 5 light color petals.

Photobucket

2. Assembling the flower.
Stack 5 petals together alternating light and dark. Twist the stems together.

Photobucket

Put on stack on top of the other and twist the stems together.

Photobucket

Spread the petals out, overlapping them.

Photobucket

On the back of the flower, curl the wire around, flat to the flower and trim.

Photobucket

Hot glue a piece of felt over the wire.

Photobucket

On the front of the flower, put a dab of hot glue in the center where the wire is showing. Sprinkle on some of the assorted color beads, a rhinestone or a large bead.
(I used the clear beads.)

Photobucket

Now you can add a pin back, barette, or magnet to make the flower into what ever accessory you want.

23 comments:

Mei Tan said...

Ah! Lovely Lovely. Thank you for sharing.
I have done something similar before but only with 5/6 petals, this is something else :)

Jessica said...

I really like this! I'll say it again - book, book, book!

Jenn Klee said...

Great tutorial, thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

this is such a lovely idea, beautiful work!

ʚϊɞ ...Gise said...

_____________________________________


hermosooo ;)

_____________________________________

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh these are gorgeous! I'd love to link to these if you didn't mind!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing, these are beautiful. I did the same with different color...

...and she lived... said...

Thank you for the tutorial! I'm going to try these for sure!

jayashree venkat said...

Thank you.A brilliant idea sure to try.

Nancy Sabina said...

So great! I just might try this tonight!

Hena Tayeb said...

all of your pieces are fabulously creative. Love them

Krista said...

Very cool! I just wrote a post about this tutorial! I think I'm going to go make one right now. :)

www.the-green-acorn.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I like your design. I am really impress.

Unknown said...

just love it...

Anonymous said...

This is just what I needed for a project to take to the county fair! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tutorial! I'm going to try these for sure!!!!I am really impress....
--
Reenee
Professional Monitering security systems for Homes, Offices & Appartments

Nancy Sabina said...

I finally gave this a shot this morning. I was short on beads so I could only make 6 petals total, but it still turned out wonderfully. My daughter will wear it in her hair to church today. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

a really fabulous flower. i love it!

i'm linking. i hope you'll agree.

thanks for the tutorial.

doro.

Amazing Flower said...

what a nice tutorial. thanks for sharing.

Love from Singapore Florist :)

Unknown said...

This is beautiful... simply, simply beautiful. I love it! Thanks for sharing!!!

Unknown said...

I am mostly looking for jewelry beads to make my own jewelry and I think it will bring the creativeness in me.

Blogger said...

great post. i love Rosewood Beads for all of my jewelry making.