Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Haute Couture

As soon as I saw this fabric flower brooch here, I knew i had to make one.

Designer flower:

Photobucket

My flower:

Photobucket

The only supplies you need are fabric, glue, 28 gauge wire and pinking shears.

1. cut about16 inches of wire and form it into a petal shape, twisting the ends together to secure and form a stem.
Make 10 large petals, (mine were 7" long,) and 7 small petals, (5" long.)

Photobucket

Cut fabric wide enough to enclose the stem when folded in half.

Photobucket

Lay your stem on half the fabric and run a line of glue over the entire stem. Then fold the fabric over to cover the stem, pressing the fabric firmly to the wire.

Photobucket

Now comes the hard part. Wait and let the glue dry thoroughly!

Once it is dry, take your pinking shears and cut out the stem shape, following the outline of the wire.

Photobucket

Once all your stems are cut, make 2 stacks of 5 large stems, and 1 stack out of the 7 small stems, then lay the stacks on top of each other, Large-small -large.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Once they're stacked, twist the stems together to form one large stem.

Photobucket

Now the fun part! Start opening the petals, spreading them out like a flower.

Photobucket

Turn the flower over and curl the stem so it lies flat around the flower. I covered mine in duct tape first.

Photobucket

Thats it! I used a large safety pin to pin the flower to my jacket. This was my prototype. I think I'll make my next flower a bit smaller.

Photobucket

32 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh no way! This is totally going on my "must make NOW" list. I love it! I'd love to link to this Friday if you don't mind. It's fabulous!

Laura B said...

wow! I love this and I like the size, such a bold statement :)

Island Girls said...

So Clever!! Thanks for sharing a great project. Perfect for the next girls get together.

dreamsandcraft said...

Lovely.
Giovanna

Kudzu said...

isn't that CUTE! I have to make one, I have all the stuff to make it. I can see one pinned to a purse.
TFS
kudzu

Ginger said...

I have to make one of these, to pin on my Shopping bag.
Loved the idea!
Great job on the tutorial!

Ginger said...

I have to make one of these, to pin on my Shopping bag.
Loved the idea!
Great job on the tutorial!

Sandra said...

OMG, this is so coooool! Must make one. Thanks for tut!

3inunder3 said...

This will definitely be put on the To Do list!

Diann said...

Very clever adaptation!! Came out beautiful. Making one tonight!

NerdMom said...

I love this and I am totally making it! I would love to post about it. Can I use one of your pictures?decodext

casserole said...

Wow! This is a great design! I posted a link to your tutorial on the Craft Gossip Sewing Blog. (sewing.craftgossip.com)
--Anne

Bridget B. said...

This is marvelous!! Not sure I feel bold enough to wear one so large . . . but, dang, maybe I need to be a bit bolder in my life!

ChickyC said...

I think I'm going to have to give this a go, maybe a tad smaller though.

It looks great!

Liz said...

OMG, this is genius! Must go on my "to do" list. Thank you!

Kastina said...

Ok...um...DAMN, you're awesome.

Enough said. ;)

Erin said...

I just jotted this one in the craft note book I keep with me at all times! It's such an awesome thing! And I have this crate of fabric that needs some serious lovin'

Centsational Girl said...

Love it love it ! You are so talented !

pink cupcake vintage said...

oh how wonderful! such a lovely idea! thanks for the diy tutorial!

Dana Barbieri said...

This is so great!! Do you mind if I link to it on my blog? I would love to take this idea and use in my wreaths either with fabric or paper. Is that o.k.?

Dana Barbieri said...

Thanks Tricia!

http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.com said...

this would look so cool on a hat!!
Brittany

I will follow you now!
here is my blog.
http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.com

...love Maegan said...

um ....GENIUS. amazing. wow.

Momma Snail said...

Thanks for the great tute! This is fabulous!

Mob said...

Wow really very nice and good information you share here. I read your entire post and really superb information you share here on funny stuff thanks for your information.

Sithean said...

So cute! I'll have to try it, though probably at half the size. I'm not quite that bold, hehe. Great instructions, and thank you so much for taking the time to write them out and to post great pics!

Leigh said...

That is great!That would be great on a shirt, bag, or with magnets on a fridge. Your instructions are so clear and easy to follow- thanks.

momof3girls said...

I am seriously in love with your blog! You are so creative! I am so excited that I found your blog - I can't wait to try this flower pin and the starbuck gift card bracelet!!! thanks for the inspiration.!!!!!

The Wedding Contessa said...

What an awesome flower! Amazing design! Thanks for the how to!

Renee said...

Wow! This is a great design! I posted a link to your tutorial on the Craft ....
--
Reenee
Professional Monitering security systems for Homes, Offices & Appartments

özge said...

love it,thanks.

Randi said...

Wauw, I love it! Must be my sunday afternoon project... The sky is grey anyways :o)

Randi Copenhagen