Sunday, September 18, 2011

Upcycled Necktie Scarf.

I've seen pictures floating around Pinterest of these gorgeous scarves and knew I'd have to try my hand at making them myself. Goodwill has a plethora of ties to choose from and my daughter picked these two for me to make a scarf for her. I say scarf, but the finished product is more like a piece of art to wear around your neck.

necktiedone2

I started by placing my ties so they overlapped a bit, with the large ends arranged so both ties are fully visible.

3

I formed pleats,

1

and pinned them in place.

2

I hand sewed the pleats and ruffles in place so that the stitches weren't visible, and added a snap to close the scarf; a piece of velcro would work just as well.

necktiedone1

I've made this one to put in my Etsy shop, and I plan on making more...once you start, its hard to stop!

necktie03

6 comments:

Fork said...

Now that's the way to wear a tie! Love this!

CinderCat said...

You are so talented! Love the colours in the one you made for Megan.

the cheese thief said...

I love this idea. A great way to use my husbands old ties too.

I'm a new follower.

Hope you can check me out at
thecheesethief.blogspot.com

shirley said...

there are a lot of unused ties in a lot of men's wardrobes...

Nueyer said...

That's so creative!! I would never have thought that you could use ties this way =)

Evik said...

Great Idea! Love it!