Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Velvet Bookmarks

Confession: I love pretty bookmarks but usually use a a scrap of paper to mark my place.
These are so lovely though, that I may have to change my ways. I saw these velvet bookmarks on the cover of Somerset Studio magazine last year and thought they were beautiful.

Photobucket
photo credit: Somerst Studio

I found all my supplies on Etsy, and while I used 1" ribbon, in hindsight I'd go narrower, just because there are more ribbon choices.
For each book mark you will need: 12" of velvet ribbon
2- 1" ribbon end clamps
Old buttons, beads or jewelry pieces
Jump rings and headpins

Measure out your 12" of ribbon.

Photobucket

Line up your ribbon end clamp, and use pliers to gently, (but tightly,) close the clamp. Do this on both ends.

Photobucket

Now the fun part. Use what ever adornment you like and attach it to the clamp with a jump ring. If you are using beads, first you must put the bead on a head pin and make a loop at the top.

Photobucket

Photobucket

17 comments:

Jessica V. said...

So easy and yet such beautiful results!

PVB said...

LOVE this! Thanks for posting! My holiday shopping is "done"! LOL
Pink Velvet Bird

enigma said...

thank you, so much :)
Kriszti

LJ said...

very cute!!

Embellished Bayou said...

I love these! Another fabulous use for vintage jewelry & buttons, thanks for the inspiration!

renna said...

Oh, I like this vintage style!

Valerie said...

mmmm.... makes me want to hunker down on this lovely fall day with a book! i have got to make this! i am filing this at thecraftersfilebox.com. thanks for the lovely inspiration!

Sewicked said...

I have some old jewelry that I inherited from my grandmother. So not my style but I don't want to get rid of it. Now I'll have something to do with the odd earrings, etc. Thank you.

Stacey said...

Oh, those are cute! And I've got boxes of vintage jewelry that have been collecting dust... I sense potential holiday gifts :)

Katherine ( Katie) Corrigan said...

Just lovely, thank you for sharing. I enjoyed my visit to your beautiful blog. Wishing you happiness, Katherine

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

Truly love this tutorial...feel free to send me one finished, haha:) Bookmarking this one so I can try it someday when I am not up to my elbows in glitter.
Hugs, Sonya

Debo said...

Such a beautiful idea. I'm looking forward to trying this myself. If I have success, here come some Christmas presents.
Thank you

Rosana Garcia Hess said...

Lovely project...I hope you don´t mind if a feature on my blog.
Hugs from Brazil

Nancy Ward said...

Hi!

Wanted you to know I posted a link to this tutorial today on my blog, PaperFriendly.

Nancy Ward
PaperFriendly
http://www.nancywardcrafts.com

Me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Me said...

I've just discovered your blog and am finding lots of interesting things here. Have to add this one on my 'to do' list :

Nadders23 said...

Your crafts are always so inspiring, Tricia! I love this one! I've been making some bookmarks myself and love this idea. :-)