Sunday, August 16, 2009

Wood Salad Plate Turned Art

While out on one of my garage sale-ing adventures, I came across a stack of these 1960's wooded salad plates. As you can see, they were heavily used, and I wasn't sure what I would do with them but bought them anyway. When I got them home I noticed that while the front of the plate was pretty useless unless I sanded and stained it, the back side, was untouched and beautiful.

Yucky side:


I decided I wanted a stylized flower on the plate, with the petals being the natural wood, so I cut lots of little petals out of clear contact paper, to use as the resist. Here they are stuck to the plate in my flower shape.


I spray painted the plate with Krylon's Blue Ocean Breeze, because according to the cap color, it was a perfect match to my bedroom pillows. Unfortunately, the cap color and the actual paint color are vastly different. As you can see, the paint is more of a Tiffany blue.

Once the paint had dried I peeled off all the contact paper petals.

This is the finished product, looking pretty much how I envisioned it.

And here it is hanging in my bedroom. Yes, those are the pillows that the paint cap matched.



I've been asked how I hung the plate, so here it is. Two thumb tacks and a piece of floral wire. I chose the thumb tacks because I knew they were short enough that they wouldn't go through the other side of the plate. It isn't pretty, but it works.

30 comments:

Unknown said...

VERY cool tricia! you just pretty much rock the craft studio!

HopiQ said...

That is such a cool idea! You are such a craft visionary.

Kari D. said...

No, they don't match. But, they look oh so lovely together. Great work and a beautiful vision!

lg2006 said...

Oh that is amazing! I love it!

heather said...

I hate when that happens!!! But I LOVE the project!!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! I can't WAIT to try this.

Nancy said...

That's a great idea! And it turned out really good. Looks nice where you placed it in your bedroom.
Thanks for sharing, Nancy
www.coeurdalenegifts.con

Sarah said...

very cool!

sarah
simplyfunstuff.blogspot.com

Carmen O. said...

Great repurposing! Love it.

Ju Padilha said...

I suuper loved this idea!!! simple but a great result!!!
congratulations from Brasil!

Very Shannon said...

Fabulous idea! I love it!

I couldn't resist adding this to our link luv roundup today! Come by for a peek and let me know if you would like a "featured on luvinthemommyhood" button for your blog.

http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/2009/08/link-luv-roundup_19.html

Thanks for sharing :)

Sara said...

Truly wonderful, and I love that you've shown how you even show how great it looks hung in your bedroom!

greekmiss said...

Love it! It just begs for you to look at it!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Um...WOW. I am so, so SO doing this. I love it! Thanks so much for sharing, I'll be linking to this. Off to the thrift store!

Be Brave, Keep Going said...

so wonderfully creative! YOu inspire me!

Just say Julie said...

This is completely fabulous! I'm off to the goodwill. My husband thanks you :)

Sandra said...

So pretty! I have an old wooden set from my folks--they used it throughout our childhood so I hold them dear. But they, too, are so worn that I never reach for them for my own family dinners. But now! Now I know exactly what to do with them--thank you for a great idea :)!!

alyson said...

Love it! Just one question...how did you hang it?

Anonymous said...

That is such a cool idea! You are such a craft visionary....
--
Reenee
Professional Monitering security systems for Homes, Offices & Appartments

Kristine said...

How adorable! You are a visionary!

kartika said...

love the way you demonstrated this very cool project and then showed the final result hanging on a bedroom wall - lovely! love your blog! Kartika

c.g. said...

This is so lovely. Would cost quite a bit in a gift shop.
Amazing!

Unknown said...

absolutely adorable.
i love these contrast of old and new, wood and iceblue. fantastic!

i set a link.
i hope you'll agree.
if not, please leave a short comment.

thanks.

doro.

Dorothee-Maria said...

Oh, WOW !!!
That's so very beautiful.
I'll try that very very soon!!
THANK YOU!

sodapop DESIGN said...

Great idea! I like it!

angela | the painted house said...

Agh!!!!! I so LOVE this! Definitely going to file this away. So cool!

Anonymous said...

I love this project and would love to try it myself! Thanks for sharing.

Tiffany said...

I have been meaning to link up this great idea for awhile now. I finally gettin around to it. This is so fun! I love your style and all of the possibilities!

Is it alright if I use a picture?
Tiffany
mypetitepurse.blogspot.com

Ash-a-bash said...

I love this idea. Thanks for sharing. I am going to try it this weekend!

Homes Go Fast said...


Traditional French Property has the beautiful interior of a traditional French house. Find out what to expect when visiting a typical French home. Home to some of the continent's most prestigious beaches and luxury real estate, it's no surprise that Portugal has become a popular relocation destination for many immigrants. Here are some reasons to buy
Portugal Real Estate for Sale