While out on one of my garage sale-ing adventures, I came across a stack of these 1960's wooded salad plates. As you can see, they were heavily used, and I wasn't sure what I would do with them but bought them anyway. When I got them home I noticed that while the front of the plate was pretty useless unless I sanded and stained it, the back side, was untouched and beautiful.
I decided I wanted a stylized flower on the plate, with the petals being the natural wood, so I cut lots of little petals out of clear contact paper, to use as the resist. Here they are stuck to the plate in my flower shape.
I spray painted the plate with Krylon's Blue Ocean Breeze, because according to the cap color, it was a perfect match to my bedroom pillows. Unfortunately, the cap color and the actual paint color are vastly different. As you can see, the paint is more of a Tiffany blue.
Once the paint had dried I peeled off all the contact paper petals.
This is the finished product, looking pretty much how I envisioned it.
And here it is hanging in my bedroom. Yes, those are the pillows that the paint cap matched.
I've been asked how I hung the plate, so here it is. Two thumb tacks and a piece of floral wire. I chose the thumb tacks because I knew they were short enough that they wouldn't go through the other side of the plate. It isn't pretty, but it works.